Blonde brownies, also known as blondies, are a delicious and unique variation of traditional chocolate brownies. They have been around for over 100 years, first appearing in a cookbook called “Boston Cooking-School Cook Book” by Fannie Merritt Farmer in 1896. However, despite their long history, blonde brownies are still a relatively unknown treat. They are often overlooked in favor of their chocolate-based cousins, but they deserve just as much attention and appreciation.
Blonde brownies are made with brown sugar instead of cocoa powder, giving them a light golden color and a slightly different flavor profile. They are also often made with vanilla, nuts, and sometimes white chocolate chips, which give them a unique taste and texture. They are a popular treat, and can be enjoyed as a dessert, snack, or breakfast treat. They are similar to chocolate chip cookies in texture and can be made gluten-free and vegan too. They are a great option for those who are not a big fan of chocolate, but still want to enjoy the texture and taste of a brownie.
In this post, we will explore the history, ingredients, and methods of making blonde brownies, as well as some fun facts about this delicious dessert. We will also include a recipe for you to try making your own blonde brownies at home. So, whether you’re a long-time fan of blonde brownies or are just discovering them for the first time, this post is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. So, let’s get started
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease an 8×8 inch baking pan.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together the melted butter and brown sugar until well combined. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, stirring until just combined. If desired, fold in the chopped nuts and white chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake the blonde brownies in the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the blonde brownies cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing them from the pan and placing them on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, cut the blonde brownies into squares and enjoy!
Note: If you want to make them gluten-free, you can use gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose flour. If you want to make them vegan, you can use vegan butter and a flax egg instead of regular butter and egg.
This recipe will produce a batch of delicious blonde brownies that are perfect for a sweet treat or a dessert. You can also adjust the recipe by adding or substituting ingredients such as chocolate chips, nuts, or fruits to make them your own.
Blonde brownies pair well with coffee because the rich, buttery flavor of the brownies complements the bold and slightly bitter taste of coffee. The nuttiness of the nuts and white chocolate chips in the brownies can add a nice contrast to the coffee. Additionally, the creamy texture of the brownies is a nice contrast to the smooth and rich texture of a cup of coffee.
One way to enjoy blonde brownies with coffee is to have a warm slice of blonde brownie with a cup of coffee as a dessert after a meal. The warmth of the brownie will enhance the flavors of the coffee and the coffee will help to balance the sweetness of the brownie.
Another way to enjoy blonde brownies with coffee is to have a slice of blonde brownie as a snack with a cup of coffee in the morning. The caffeine in the coffee can give you an energy boost to start your day, while the sweetness of the brownie will make it a satisfying breakfast.
Some people also enjoy dipping their blonde brownies in their coffee, this can be a great way to enjoy the flavors of both the brownies and coffee together.
Overall, blonde brownies and coffee make a great pairing as they complement each other’s flavors and textures, making for a satisfying and enjoyable experience.